Thanks to stiff competition in the iGaming industry, gambling sites need to find ways to attract players to play at their casino. One of the best ways is to offer casino bonuses. These are freebies given to players just for signing up and making a deposit at a site. As a Canadian gambler, you might think it’s not logical for casinos to give away such lucrative bonuses, but they benefit the casinos too.
- Before you can claim any casino bonuses, you need to first register at the casino site.
- After you are done signing up, some casinos will credit your bonus automatically, some will ask for a bonus code, while some will need you to contact their support team.
When it comes to online casino bonuses, there are lots of benefits that Canadian players will stand to gain. Among these is the fact that players can have some risk-free fun when playing using a casino bonus. Besides that, Canadian players who are new to online casinos in Canada can use these bonuses to try out new casino games before playing with their own money. Players can also use these bonuses to gain the experience needed to succeed as an online casino gambler. Don’t forget that there are special bonuses for online slots, which are called free spins.
Types of Bonuses
Casino bonuses offer great benefits for online gambling. They are one of the reasons why players are shifting their focus to online gambling. However, bonuses are one of the most confusing online casino features. So, let’s take a closer look. What exactly are casino bonuses? Generally, casino bonuses are incentives that are awarded to players at most gambling sites for choosing to play at that site. Here at CanadianCasino.org, we seek out the very best bonuses 🎁.
Casino bonuses come in all shapes and sizes and the way you claim them can also vary from bonus to bonus and site to site. These bonuses also usually come with certain terms and conditions, such as wagering requirements and time limits, that players need to follow to get the most out of using them. As part of our comprehensive review process to produce a list of the best online casino sites for Canadian players, we take a look at all the bonus options offered. These can be many and varied and include the following:
- Welcome bonus
- Reload bonus
- No Deposit Bonus
- Loyalty bonus
- Cashback bonus
- Refer-a-friend bonus
- Banking or payment method bonus
- High Roller bonus
- Free Spins bonus
Welcome & Reload Bonus
The welcome bonus is one of the best casino bonuses that is available for Canadian players to grab at most gambling sites. It’s sometimes referred to as the sign-up bonus, and its purpose is to attract new players to the casino site. You can usually claim the casino welcome bonus for Canada players immediately upon signing up and make a deposit at the gambling site. While the welcome bonus can vary, it usually consists of a match deposit bonus and/or free spins🍁.
The reload bonus works in a similar way to a deposit match or percentage match bonus. Reload bonuses are usually offered to existing and committed players to keep them depositing at the casino site. Players won’t be able to claim a reload bonus whenever they want, but the casino will often offer this type of bonus as part of a special promotional offer. The amount offered will depend on the casino site. Check out our recommendations for the best casino bonus in Canada.
- Match Deposit Bonus: Usually offered as a welcome bonus. This will match your original deposit to a specified percentage, e.g 100% match.
- No Deposit Bonus: This offers players a free bonus without having to make a deposit. Usually awarded as a small amount of cash or some free spins.
- Free Spins: These give you extra spins that you can use to enjoy more of the casino’s slot games.
- Free Bets: These will give you free money bets that you can use to play on casino table games or at a sportsbook.
No Deposit Bonus
No deposit bonuses are one of the less common casino bonuses that you’ll find at gambling sites. As the name suggests, you will not be required to deposit any funds before you can claim this bonus offer. It’s mostly offered to players to encourage them to sign up to an online casino site. No deposit bonuses usually take the form of a small amount of casino bonus cash or a small number of free spins. Both are usually only valid for specific games 💰
As mentioned, no deposit cash bonuses are usually very small compared to other bonuses, usually between CA$5 and CA$10. This type of bonus comes with lots of benefits. First, Canadian players who are new to casino gambling can use a no deposit bonus to test run a casino site before they decide whether to make a deposit or not. We do recommend checking all of the terms and conditions attached to no deposit bonuses before accepting the offer. Other casino bonus types include:
- Loyalty Bonuses: These bonuses are used to reward committed and loyal players at a casino site. They are usually offered as match deposit, cashback or free spins. Many casinos also run loyalty schemes where players collect points as they play and can exchange those points for different rewards and bonuses.
- Cash-back bonuses: These bonuses are awarded to players as a percentage of all the losses made on a specific game or within a specific time period.
- Refer-a-friend bonuses: These bonuses are awarded to players when they invite their friends to register and play at a casino site.
- Banking Bonuses: These bonuses are not common at most gambling sites. They are usually used to promote the use of a specific banking method.
- High Roller Bonuses: These bonuses are mainly for players who make a large deposit at a casino site. It is also known as a VIP bonus.
Pros and Cons of Using Casino Bonuses
Pros of Using Casino Bonuses
- You can use it to learn how a casino works without spending from your own bankroll.
- Free spins bonuses are often tied to specific games and let you test out the gameplay on popular slots like Book of Dead.
- Using a bonus means you can usually extend your game time at the casino at no extra cost.
Cons of Using Casino Bonuses
- They are usually subject to wagering requirements
- Most casino bonuses are usually valid for a short period only
- Some bonuses can have winning and withdrawal limits
What are Casino Bonus Codes and How do they Work?
When you claim a casino bonus in Canada, some casino sites may ask you to input a bonus code in order to claim your bonus rewards. The way the bonus code works is simple. When making a deposit or signing up, you will be provided with a promotional box and you simply need to input the code. We search through all the casino bonus offers that are available to Canadian players and list the best options and their codes.
- Players should pay attention to the terms and conditions attached to any bonus codes.
- Some bonus codes are only valid for the welcome bonus.
The casino bonuses that are available at most gambling sites are usually attached to a wagering or playthrough requirement. This is the number of times a bonus needs to be wagered before you are eligible to cash out any winnings gained from using that bonus. Generally, a wagering requirement of less than 30x is considered low, while anything over 35x is considered high. Some casinos attach the wagering requirement to the bonus only, but others tie it to the deposit amount plus bonus 💲
To get the most out of casino bonuses, Canadian players need to fully understand these wagering requirements. For instance, you deposit CA$100 and you receive a 100% match deposit bonus of CA$100 with a wagering requirement of 40x on the bonus only. If you win money using that bonus, you will need to place wagers totaling CA$4000 (100 x 40) before you can cash out your winnings. Other casino bonus terms and conditions that players should pay attention to include:
- Validity period: The validity period will tell you how long a casino bonus will last before it expires.
- Game restriction: On most gambling sites, bonus offers are restricted to specific casino games.
- Bet limit: There is often a cap on the maximum amount that can be wagered in any individual bet.
- Withdrawal limit: This is the maximum amount of winnings accrued from using the bonus that you can withdraw.
How to Choose the Best Site for Casino Bonuses?
When it comes to finding the best casino bonus in Canada, our review team has done all the hard work for you. We check out the different bonus offers and their T&C’s. But that’s not all. Our review team goes further and looks at many different aspects of a casino before deciding if we can recommend it to Canadian players. For instance, we check that the casino is properly licensed by regulatory bodies such as:
- The Malta Gaming Authority
- Kahnawake Gaming Commission
Casino Games Selection
When reviewing the best Canadian site for casino bonuses, our review team also considers the game selection offered. Aside from casino bonuses, the availability of impressive games will also give players a wonderful stay. So, we ensure that casinos that we recommend for Canadian players offer a variety of games including slot games, table games, video poker, and live dealer games. We also make sure that the games featured at the casino are powered by popular game providers like Microgaming, NetEnt, etc.
Payment Methods and Casino Bonus in Canada
At most gambling sites, Canadian players will be required to make a deposit before they can play for real money. Our review team makes sure that our recommended casinos offer fast and safe payment methods that players from Canada can make use of. Popular methods for Canadian players include iDebit, Instadebit, web wallets like Skrill, and cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin. However, our team also checks that all payment methods qualify for bonuses, and if they don’t, we’ll highlight this.
Players from Canada who love online casino gambling won't have to pay any income tax when they win at an online gambling site. However, there is an exception where your winnings might be taxed. If you are a professional casino gambler, and all your income is coming from casino gambling, then you might need to pay tax from your casino winnings. Players should consult a tax attorney or accountant to get detailed information on taxes.
Although welcome bonuses can be used to enjoy some casino table games, they're best used on slot games. The reason for this is that most table games contribute less to the wagering requirements than slots. So, when you use your welcome bonus on table games, it will take much longer to fulfil the playthrough requirements. For instance, in many casinos, blackjack will only contribute 10% towards the wagering requirement, meaning every CA$1 wagered only counts as 10 cents.
Yes and no. Some bonuses, like free spins, are usually attached to a particular slot game or group of games. Sometimes the casino will offer you free spins to promote a specific slot. In either case, you must take care to play the correct game, otherwise you'll have to pay for any spins you make. Other bonuses, like match deposit bonuses, are usually valid for most, if not all, games, but different game genres will contribute a different percentage to the wagering requirement.
Yes, players can convert their welcome bonuses to real money on withdrawal as long as the wagering requirement, and any other conditions, for that bonus has been fulfilled. As part of our detailed review process, we check the fine details of the terms and conditions of the different welcome bonus offers. We do this to make sure that we only recommend the casinos that offer the best deals that are just right for our Canadian players.
Yes, casino bonuses can vary depending on the kind of deposit method that you choose to use. For instance, some online casinos will offer players a larger percentage for their match deposit welcome bonus offer if the player uses a cryptocurrency, such as Bitcoin, when making their first deposit. Similarly, some casinos specifically state that their match deposit welcome bonus is not available to players who use Skrill as their payment method for depositing at the casino.